Because most philosophies that frown on reproduction don't survive.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Word by Word

Things have been exceedingly busy here, culminating in William (almost two) being walked around in the back of a theater, shouting at his older sister singing up on stage, "Julia! Sit down!" But now the play is over, and things are slowing down a bit, and it occurs to me that maybe I should have mentioned at some point that I was in a real published book last month.

Some time ago, Sarah Reinhard asked me if I'd contribute a post to her blog series meditating on every word of the Hail Mary. My word was "our", as in "now and at the hour of our death", and I wrote it up in about ten minutes based on a brief insight I'd had while saying bedtime Hail Marys with the kids.

Recently Sarah assembled all the Hail Mary posts and edited them into a book: Word by Word: Slowing Down with the Hail Mary. The essay remains unchanged from its original form, but there it is now in a book, proof that a small spurt of effort to help out a friend can lead to your name in an Amazon preview window.


As part of a series of interviews with the contributors to the book, Sarah asked me a few questions about my essay, in which ten more minutes of effort led to another first: my very own graphic.



Tolle et lege, if you're minded to!

2 comments:

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

I read it earlier today and thought it was quite good. :-)

Anonymous said...

At least they didn't give you "of." Talk about pressure!

I like the idea of "our" death, as a common place we all meet. Some day, when my children are grown and successful professionals, and I have $10 to my name again, I'll buy the book and read your wisdom.

Rob